Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Writer Writes



Ever since I started writing this blog, I've been thinking a lot about writing: Why are humans compelled to write things down? Why am I, in particular, compelled to write? What makes good writing—and what makes people want to read what's written?

In the movie Throw Momma from the Train, Billy Crystal plays a writing teacher who, although he regularly has to listen to and give feedback on some truly awful writing, encourages his students by saying, "Remember: A writer writes, always." I suppose the point of that is that writing is something that takes practice, just like any other skill. And just like any other skill, it doesn't develop overnight.

Part of the reason I started writing this blog is that very quotethere are a lot of details about that movie that I've forgotten, but that exhortation has stuck with me. You can't be a writer if you don't actually write. But more than that, I wonder if you can be a writer in the truest sense if nobody reads what you've written. John Cheever said, “I can’t write without a reader. It’s precisely like a kiss — you can’t do it alone.” 

It's certainly true that Anne Frank wrote in her diary with no thought of anyone ever reading what she wrote. But what gives her words power is not just that she wrote them down, but that she wrote them and we read them.

Writing, it seems to me, is a lot like singing. As long as you went to school, you can probably do both to at least a rudimentary degree, but your voice needs to be developed if anyone's going to want to hear you. 

I've written a lot over the years that I've gotten paid for (and in fact, I should be working on an article right now), but the type of writing I've gotten paid for is the kind of writing where you're really not supposed to notice the writer: catalog copy, marketing blurbs, factual articles, press releases. That writing, sticking with the singing analogy, is like singing in a choir, where the point is to sound like a choir, and not a bunch of individual voices.

I used to supervise a writer who had a very distinct (if a little rough technically) writing voice, and he always wanted to write in that voice. No, no, no, I had to tell him over and overyou need to write in the voice of the organization, not in your own voice. It's a press release, not a poem. But it was a bit like having Bono or Bob Dylan in a choir. It's always going to sound like Bono or Bob Dylan surrounded by choir singers.

But the non-choir writingthe solo stuffis a very different thing. It is your voice, and your voice alone that is heard. 

It used to be that if you wanted an audience for your words, you had to convince someone to publish them. Submissions, proposals, rejections...blood, sweat, and tears. But in today's micropublishing world of the internetthe blogosphere—anyone can publish his or her own words. And blogging has become the karaoke of writing—you don't have to be original or good to do it, and there is plenty out there that is mediocre at best. And I've thrown myself into that karaoke pile, grabbing the microphone and belting it out and hoping it's decent.

Or maybe karaoke isn't the right analogy. Maybe, since my audience is mostly made up of people who know me, it's more like being a church soloist. There are a very few people who still know me who know that I used to occasionally sing in church. I don't have a showy voice, or a powerful voice. What I have is a nice, competent singing voice, and in a small church, it was fine for a solo in the Christmas service or the occasional Sunday morning. But certainly no one was telling me I should try for a recording contract or anything like that.

On the other hand, a church soloist is most often asked to singor, in any case, there's a slot in the service that needs to be filled, so even if he or she offers to sing, it's not really a weird thing to do. But with blogging, the process does feel a little weird, honestly. You write something, put it on the internet, and then, to make sure it gets read, you tell your friends and acquaintances, "Hey, I wrote this thing if you want to check it out."

There's a nakedness to singing or writing, too. Any time a person sings in public or writes something for other people to read, it's exposing oneself to the possibility of criticism or ridicule or indifferencebut more than that, you have to be willing to be a little naked, and sometimes not be so good.

When my son was in elementary school, he started taking band in the 5th grade, and they played their first concert at Christmas. You could tell it was music, but it was pretty spectacular in its awfulness. But it was a K-12 school, so after the 5th graders played, you heard the middle school band, and it was amazing the difference a year or two made in their skill level. And then, at the end, the high school band played, and by that point they were actually very good. It was really good to see that your child had the potential to progress to that level and it wouldn't always sound like that.

Now, don't misunderstand—if I felt like my writing sounded like the 5th grade band concert, I wouldn't share it. I do, I'm pretty sure, have a nice, competent writing voice—certainly, given what I do for a living, I have a good grasp on the mechanics of writing. But competence isn't a very lofty goal for a writer, I don't think.

In order to be a good writer, you have to write, and write, and write some more. And I have to admit, the existence of blogging helps in that process, and I'm grateful to have a few people who want to hear what I have to say. I want to be able to call myself a writer, and a writer writes. Always.







19 comments:

  1. Hello; Thanks for a post that made me think about writing and the process to good writing and of course why we write. when i heard you reference kereokee it made me think of those cartoons i watched as a kid where you were supposed to follow the bouncing ball and sing along. smile thanks for the good memory. I recently started recording videos. as a blind blogger and now podcaster sometimes the technical aspects escape me. i wanted some music but couldn't figure out how to blend it into the opening of my video. so i decided to sing a few lines of a favorite song. I was nervous about the video but didn't think a thing about the singing. And several people who have viewed them have complemented me on my singing voice and encouraged me to keep doing this in future videos. so if we are going with your thought babout having to be a little naked i think i was totally naked. well thanks again for the post and tai care, max

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like anything else where practice is an important component. That goes for karaoke too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing, like most skills, improves with practice. It's a nicer form of practice, though, than practicing piano which involves playing the same scales, exercises and pieces over and over. Practicing writing is usually writing something different each time you write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jacquie, I didn't mean to disparage karaoke! :) And Beth, you're right that it's a lot more fun to practice something that lets you do different things in the process of practicing, as opposed to doing the same thing over and over until it's flawless. I had 7 years of piano lessons, and I don't think I was ever going to play flawlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing is a great release and the nice thing about blogging is that no one is grading it, except you readers of course, by commenting and liking and sharing. Karaoke - well, not so much for me - I'm tone deaf. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really relate to this post. As a pretty new blogger and writer, I haven't really answered for myself why I do it, except that I can't seem to stop. I love the singing illustration, and I also think it's the same for artists. Thanks for the encouragement to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot really pinpoint why do I write. But, it gives me a goal to do my day job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post. I started blogging for a variety of reasons, but a big part of it was to write and be read. I think I've become a better writer in the process and learned more about grammar, punctuation and style. My husband proofreads my posts before I publish them. We've had a few discussions on proper placement of commas and when to use a hyphenated word, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're brave. My husband sees my posts when the rest of the world does. :)

      Delete
    2. My daughter does proof reading for me sometimes. But she is usually busy with her studies.

      Delete
  9. Good post. As a musician, I hated etudes. As a singer I hated vocalizing. But guess what! All that work paid off, when I became a professional entertainer. My goal. To be heard, and seen all over the world. Well, I did accomplish that through the medium of TV. When I started writing, or blogging if you will, my feeling was that if you wrote once in a while. it would suffice. Wrong! I felt so inadequate, so as to forgo the idea of writing. Glad I stuck around, as I have gleaned so much from fellow writers, or bloggers. I write, because I want my stuff read. Guess I'm still an entertainer at heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true that you have to keep doing it to be good at it. My father-in-law said to me a few weeks ago that I probably don't even have to think about it when I write. Ummmm...no! And honestly, I don't know that that will ever be true, and I'm fine with that.

      Delete
  10. Well you know what they say practice makes perfect. I have always had pencil and paper in hand. If I am not writing I can be found drawing. My blog is used to show my work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karaoke is WAY scarier than blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to agree with that. I don't have to be well on my way to drunk before I'll think about blogging! :)

      Delete
  12. I found my writing voice long ago back when I was an English major and taking some heavy duty writing classes. Alas, teaching English to high school students killed the motivation to write. I've been lucky enough to get a second chance at pursuing a writing career, but boy has it been a long road reconnecting with the type of writer I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep thinking about Malcolm Gladwell (and others before him) who saw excellence as being a question of time practicing. The basic idea is that if you do 10,000 hours of anything you'll become an expert at it. I'm not sure that it holds true for writing, because there is art in it, but I believe it can't hurt. Hopefully somewhere along the way our voice, the art, will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good advice. I've been writing since I was a child. I write something every day, but probably not the stuff I should be writing to further my writing. I do have a book coming out soon thought :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your book! I actually need to take my own advice--it's a work in progress. :)

      Delete